In 1911, John Van Norman Sr. left the family lightning protection business in Wingham, Ontario and moved to Brandon, Manitoba where he established Western Lightning Protection. The original mandate of Western Lightning Protection was to provide lightning protection for wooden grain elevators and farm buildings across Western Manitoba. In 1925, the company was taken over by John Van Norman Jr., and its operations were moved to Winnipeg . The sales territory was broadened to include Saskatchewan and Eastern Alberta. The company's main focus remained in the agricultural sector.
In 1976, John Van Norman's son, Murray, assumed leadership in the company. The company then expanded to include commercial and industrial buildings, the first being the Air Canada office tower in downtown Winnipeg. Since that time, Western Lightning Protection Ltd. has provided lightning protection materials and installations for structures of all types across Canada.